Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Busy Summer

You probably have noticed a lack of updates from Good Beer recently - that's because I haven't had a moment to stop and reflect on what is going on.  Some interesting things are happening right now.  Fear not, I'm still pushing forward and breathing life in to The Good Beer Company.

I'm working on revising the plan set that was submitted to the City of Santa Ana.  There are some technical items that need to be ironed out - like occupancies, fire separation, means of egress, and other extraordinarily exciting elements of the California Building Code, before we can resubmit.  That said, I have great direction and, with the help of my Dad (a California licensed architect), I think we have a proposal that will make everyone happy.  I'm planning on getting the resubmittal in to the City by the end of the month, so stay tuned.

As for brewing, this upcoming weekend will be the Grand Barrel Brewday.  Myself and a couple fellow home brewers are getting together to brew enough beer to fill a used oak barrel.  That's quite a bit of beer to make at home in one day - over 55 gallons!  I don't want to spoil the surprise, but it's going to be an exciting beer.  I also have started in on some fun yeast experiments using non-conventional fermentation techniques.  My hope is that I will get a good grip on using various yeasts and bacterias in fermentation before the brewery opens - that way, I can pump out some fascinating beers in short order.


In the last month, we've visited Track 7 Brewing and Rubicon in Sacramento, Bootleggers and Anaheim Brewery in Orange County, and the Julian Brewing Company in my home town of Julian.  I have brewed a bunch of beer - including an Imperial Stout and American Farmhouse Ale, and a Brown Ale that I have on tap right now, in the last month and I'm amped about what's coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment